Last year I told you about the FDA approval of IXINITY® [coagulation factor IX (recombinant)] for people with hemophilia B (FDA Approves a New Factor IX Treatment for Hemophilia B!). Now people are sharing their firsthand experiences with this factor IX. Watch Nathan’s full video to see more of his story on IXINITY.com.
Be sure to speak with your doctor about any new treatment that you're considering. This is Nathan's experience and it may not be typical.
(The following is a paid placement of product information by Emergent BioSolutions.)
Here’s what Nathan says about his IXINITY IXperience™.
I’m 19 now and have severe hemophilia B. Over the years I’ve had a lot of bleeds. What interested me in IXINITY was that there were no inhibitors found in the clinical trials, the recovery rate was 98%,* and it’s not a plasma-derived product.1
My hematologist and I collaborated and thought that with a 98%* recovery rate, we should be able to at least try to lower the dosage. Now I’m infusing 4,000 IU per infusion—less than in the past.
Since I started IXINITY in July of 2015, I’ve experienced no bleeds. I also like the IXINITY reconstitution device. It’s so simple, and there’s really nothing to it. It’s just right there in front of you.
Nathan's experience with IXINITY may not be typical. Speak with your doctor to see if IXINITY may be a good option for you.
*IXINITY recovery is an average based on lab tests of patients in the clinical study.1 Your actual recovery and dose may be different. Speak with your healthcare professional about the right dose for you.
Visit IXINITY.com to learn more about IXINITY and the FACTOR IT FORWARD program. You can also call an IXINITY IXperience Concierge™, toll-free, at 1-855-IXINITY (1-855-494-6489).
IXINITY INDICATIONS AND IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
What is IXINITY®?
IXINITY [coagulation factor IX (recombinant)] is a medicine used to replace clotting factor (factor IX) that is missing in adults and children at least 12 years of age with hemophilia B. Hemophilia B is also called congenital factor IX deficiency or Christmas disease. Hemophilia B is an inherited bleeding disorder that prevents clotting. Your healthcare provider may give you IXINITY to control and prevent bleeding episodes or when you have surgery.
IXINITY is not indicated for induction of immune tolerance in patients with hemophilia B.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION for IXINITY®
• You should not use IXINITY if you are allergic to hamsters or any ingredients in IXINITY.
• You should tell your healthcare provider if you have or have had medical problems, take any medicines, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, such as over-the-counter medicines, supplements, or herbal remedies, have any allergies, including allergies to hamsters, are nursing, are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, or have been told that you have inhibitors to factor IX.
• You can experience an allergic reaction to IXINITY. Contact your healthcare provider or get emergency treatment right away if you develop a rash or hives, itching, tightness of the throat, chest pain, or tightness, difficulty breathing, lightheadedness, dizziness, nausea, or fainting.
• Your body may form inhibitors to IXINITY. An inhibitor is part of the body’s defense system. If you develop inhibitors, it may prevent IXINITY from working properly. Consult with your healthcare provider to make sure you are carefully monitored with blood tests for development of inhibitors to IXINITY.
• If you have risk factors for developing blood clots, the use of IXINITY may increase the risk of abnormal blood clots.
• Call your healthcare provider right away about any side effects that bother you or do not go away, or if your bleeding does not stop after taking IXINITY.
• The most common side effect that was reported with IXINITY during clinical trials was headache.
• These are not all the side effects possible with IXINITY. You can ask your healthcare provider for information that is written for healthcare professionals.
Please see full Prescribing Information for IXINITY here.
You are encouraged to report side effects of prescription drugs to the Food and Drug Administration. Visit www.fda.gov/medwatch, or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Reference: 1. IXINITY [coagulation factor IX (recombinant)] prescribing information. Winnipeg, MB, Canada; Emergent BioSolutions Inc.; April 2015.
Manufactured by Cangene Corporation, a subsidiary of Emergent BioSolutions Inc. and distributed by Cangene bioPharma, Inc., a subsidiary of Emergent BioSolutions Inc.
IXINITY® [coagulation factor IX (recombinant)], IXperience, and any and all Emergent BioSolutions Inc. brand, product, service and feature names, logos, slogans are trademarks or registered trademarks of Emergent BioSolutions Inc. or its subsidiaries in the United States or other countries. All rights reserved.
©2016 Emergent BioSolutions Inc. All rights reserved. CM-FIX-0024